TELEMETRY NURSING - ENTRY NO. 2

by - Sunday, September 22, 2024

Hi! I don't know why I'm smiling while I'm typing this and after reading my previous entry ie Telemetry nursing but I feel like I'm in a much better place. I'm finally off orientation (Yey and No!). This means I can work on my own pace but this also means more responsibility on my shoulders. I created this habit of journaling my experiences as a nurse in the telemetry floor because I know nothing is permanent in this world. I want to look back at these entries and re-live those important/touching/moving experiences to me as a nurse. This job is not easy at all but there are a lot things that no ordinary person can encounter unless you work in the medical field. 


I had a patient, from UK, I believe (I can tell from his thick accent/slang). He was apparently living with his wife who was a hoarder. He was on the floor for days w/ urine feces unkempt and all when EMS came,  but when he came to our floor he expected us to provide him with 5 star hotel service because he was a bit arrogant and rude. He was able to go to the washroom unassisted with his rollator but he wanted his attends to be changed by the nurse. I wounder what his life was before arriving in Canada? Was he that rich? How did he manage to be on that situation in his house with his wife? 

Another old man who seems to be so disinterested with his life, he looks so sad and miserable. All the doctors and nursing staff doing their very best to save his life but he doesn't participate much. I am now wondering how a person can end up in both situation? What I've noticed here is the disconnect between an individual (the patient) and family is very evident. In the Philippines, family members are an important part of the team because they provide bedside care to the patients. Here in Canada you are expected to bath, clean , put the patient on the commode, change the diapers etc. Families visit patients at least 1-2 daily and they all go to work or do whatever plans they have for the day. Patients are also doing most of their ADLs as long as they are able to but nurses are expected to assist them when needed. 

I DON'T WANT TO RETIRE HERE. NEVER. I've seen patients live through 90 with countless existing comorbidities- Cancer, AKI, OA, AFIB, etc but they are not ill enough to die and be admitted to palliative so they stay on the tele floor. I want to live my life and be able to enjoy the remaining days and die when I'm old enough to see my grandkids, my daughter marry and settle down but no I don't want to suffer in solitude. OKAY IM just blabbering but and see you on my next post whoever you are who is reading and curious of my not so exciting life. Leave me a comment pls and thank you.

You May Also Like

0 comments