A Hidden Gem: Canigao Island

by - Sunday, May 08, 2016

As you know, the Philippines only has 2 seasons-dry and wet. And by dry season, we mean Summer. Usually, it begins by the month of March and ends by May. It's the most awaited season of the year,mostly by students because it  signals the end of the school year and the start of summer get-aways and adventure. For young professionals like me, I look forward to relatives from abroad or other cities going home, whom I only get to see this time of the year. 

This year, my cousins living in urban cities are itching to go to the beach. Since most of them are into posting photos on instagram or facebook, I decided to bring them to the picturesque Canigao Island in Matalom Leyte. 

Canigao is an islet located in the Philippines, near the municipality of Matalom, Leyte. The area is known for abundant fishing grounds and scenic coral reef areas suitable for diving.

It's similar to other islands found in other areas of the Philippine islands only that it's uninhabited, featuring a lighthouse as it's only significant man-made structure. The beaches have white sand, with sea creatures and extensive coral reef in the surrounding waters making it suitable for scuba divers. The crystal clear blue water and powdery sand of Canigao Island attracts more and more tourists each year.





It took us less than an hour to travel by multi-cab, from my hometown (Maasin City) to Matalom, Leyte. For commuters, there are several buses going to Matalom. A one way ride  will cost you around Php 50.00.



This hidden gem is accessible only via pump boat. We were made to wear orange life vests of course for safety purposes. I'll be updating this blog and will post the fees for the pumpboat ride.


The sky was a bit gloomy when our pumpboat sailed. Thank God, It didn't rain!

Beach-goers enjoying the clear blue waters basking in the heat of Mr. Sun

Another tourist watching the island while waiting patiently to arrive.

Hi there! It's me wearing a blue (swim)suit. My favorite color:)

I even had my back tattooed . (music+science=love) There's a (hena) tattoo artist on the island. Price starts at Php 50 per tattoo. So for those who want to show off some skin and tan lines, a tattoo will complement it. 


That's me enjoying a walk.

Meet my cousins. Aren't they cool?

The island is not just about sand and sea. It's also surrounded with a lush, green and virgin forest.

There are several awesome  rock formations on the island too. 

...and another one.

Blue skies, clear blue waters, beautiful weather= perfect summer getaway.



Canigao Island, is a must-visit hidden gem in the South. It's a place you'll want to come back over and over again .

PS: By the way, I failed to mention that fresh sea foods are also available at an affordable price (I forgot to take pictures of it). If you're a seafood gastronome like me, then it's definitely the place to be.

Love, 
post signature

You May Also Like

0 comments