#IAmUrbanBrave

by - Tuesday, April 04, 2017




April 4, 2017

Dear Diary,

How have you been? 

Recently, the past few days have been so hectic & rough but extremely fulfilling with my job as a nurse. I admit, in some days, I don't feel like going to work and my bed seems to be the happiest place on earth. However, whenever I'm reminded of the opportunity to take care of the sick and ill, I suddenly feel the surge of energy like I'm suddenly wearing the long red cape minus the red brief.lol. As a modern day working Filipina, I brave the urban life each day with enthusiasm and purpose  knowing that I get the chance to  SAVE a LIFE each day as a NURSE. 


I've been working as a nurse for the past 5 years and I've seen it ALL. When I say ALL, I mean ALL. Working in public health for 2 years I could say that those years were one of my most memorable events as a nurse. I've been assigned to mountainous, far-flung and impoverished area in my community. But after the long and bumpy ride on the 'habal-habal' (a motorcycle used as transportation for people living in the mountains) and teaching mothers about health , I feel that I accomplished something very important-IMPART KNOWLEDGE. Yeah, #IAmUrbanBrave.


Whenever I travel, I make sure I have these basic essentials : a sturdy and spacious back-pack where I put my notebooks/laptops and cellphone for that well-prepared slide-show health presentation, a huge tumbler/water container to keep me hydrated and of course a coffee and tea travel press to keep me up and awake:)



Urbanize Scout Tote Bag, Espro Coffee Travel Press, Hydrapak   
(Click here for Urbanize)            
Currently, I'm working as a STAFF NURSE in a public hospital. The stress is sky-high but the rewards are overwhelming. I'm not talking about tangible and material rewards, I'm referring to the self-fulfillment you get whenever a mother and baby survives after a risky pregnancy, a Cancer-stricken patient felt happy and contented during the remaining days of her life and a most of all receiving a simple 'thank-you' and a smile from that grumpy old patient. 

My table's so messy because I was so busy but I still managed to SMILE.

As a staff nurse, you need to be strong physically, emotionally and mentally. That's why you also need to take care of yourself because these means you can take care of others more. You need to carry essential and useful items with you every time you go on duty and to make you equipped and ready for any emergency/stressful situation. For me, these are the things I carry: A stylish backpack, a hair-tie, a coffee mug especially during night-shifts. 

Fjallraven's Kanken bags, Popband Bubble Gum, Limited Edition Angel & Devil tumbler

These are my TOP 5 Urbanize must-have items. What's yours? 

Visit their facebook page here for URBANIZE PH.


Being a Nurse in the Philippines is no joke. You should have the conviction to stick to your principles and the heart to serve. The current situation in the Philippines has caused Filipino nurses to go abroad to look for greener pasture. So I should say, all those who stayed deserves a pat on the back for managing to provide selfless service albeit the meager monetary compensation. Kudos everyone, we are all #Urbanbrave.

Ever since College, I've already decided to stay and serve my fellowmen even this means I would sacrifice a lot of things because #Iamurbanbrave. I may opt not to buy expensive stuff but being able to acquire a few of these items is definitely a must for any nurse like me. Because we all deserve to treat ourselves once in a while, right?


Love, 

THE POBRENG-PROBINSYANA 



You May Also Like

0 comments